Brookesmith Community Flashbacks
The community of Brookesmith dates back to the early part of the 1900's. Although many present spectators jest about the size of the town. Brookesmith was once a "booming" town when first established. The invention of automobiles resulted in less activity in the community of Brookesmith., it is once again on a rise due to the advancement of technology present in the small 1A school, which is drawing attention to surrounding counties.
l The original town was located on a railroad and named Serville.
l In 1902, David Smith renamed Serville Brookesmith in honor of the Brownwood banker, Brooke Smith, who was a major factor in the development of the community.
l The first school, a one room brick building, was built on a hill overlooking the town.
l The first Post Office was established in 1903.
lThe community had a two-story hotel owned by the Carr family(built in 1903), a lumber yard, a drug store, three grocery stores, two gas stations, and a barber shop.
lA new school was rebuilt and relocated in 1930.
lThe town also had 3 cotton gins until the late 1950's when the cotton industry declined.
l In the 1980's the school was upgraded to have a classified 12 grade school.
lThe population for the 1980-1990 census was 61.
lIn 1994, the school--excluding the cafeteria--and auditorium was torn down. A new school was rebuilt; the campus consisted of one large building holding grades 5-12, and elementary grades were taught in portable buildings along the relocated playground and new school.
lIn 1996, A new gym was built to replace the Old Rock Gym and was connected to the cafeteria.
lThe football concession stand was built in the summer of 1997.
lDuring the 2000-2001 school year, Brookesmith I.S.D. enrolled in its first year of Distance Learning classes--which included dual credits for high school courses and college courses--through Howard College at Big Springs, Texas.
lA new elementary building was built in 2001. The new building included: a new library, administration offices, seven classrooms, and a new Distance Learning lab.